The Country Store and Museum is listed in the National Register of Historic Places
for the building itself and for the site's early merchandising. The
store first began as Ruddell General Store, selling farm equipment, dry
goods, and household items. When Mr. Ruddell moved to Parkersburg, WV,
he leased it – the name became Arnold and Moss, with descendants of
those men still living in Gilmer County.
in the 1920’s, the well-known Hub Department Store moved from Main
Street into the building, which eventually specialized in high quality
men's clothing. The store was run by Hyman Bass, then his son Charles,
and finally Hyman's daughter, Cecelia Bass Nachman, and her husband,
In 1971, Charles Ruddell and Mildred Ruddell
Arbuckle sold the store to the Folk Festival. Before that time, The
Country Store occupied a building on Bank Street, and it was the primary
source of funds for the Folk Festival. Gradually, museum display items
were added. When several craft stores opened in Glenville, it was
decided the store would no longer be an outlet with consignment sales.
There are cassettes and CD's of old-time musicians, Folk Festival
t-shirts, candy, Festival calendars, wooden toys and other items in the
sales area. The remaining store space holds not-for-sale displays of
antique farm tools, toys, clothes, musical instruments, and household
Restoration and repair has been an ongoing process.
About 1995, Don Kelble, Bruce Hathaway, Jim Bailey, and others started
the replacement of sills and foundations. During the past several years
until 2008, the Country Store was managed by Judy and David Brown. The
restoration efforts are slowly being realized.
Store Museum continues as a center for Folk Festival activities and
archives. The store is opened for visitors when the town fills up for
any reason and when requested for class tours. The lack of central
heating keeps it closed in the colder months.