Job’s Temple 2016
By Judy Meads
Pastor Randy Wilson of
Glenville Community Church will be the speaker and will lead the music at this
year’s service at historic Job's Temple located nine miles from Glenville on
Route 5 West. When he was 20 years old, Pastor Randy was called to serve
his church which began in a trailer on Walnut Street in Glenville. The
congregation first built a sanctuary, and recently added a beautiful Fellowship
Hall and a Youth Center. Randy says that he and his wife, Cindy, are a
team with her leading adult Sunday school as well of the youth, and both
of them working with the music.
A native of Ritchie County in the Smithville
area, Randy graduated from Harrisville High School. He has served the Glenville
Community Church for 38 years, leading them to grow many times over the
Folk Festival Belles, who come to Job’s Temple
in their beautiful costumes,are the honored guests at the service, which is the
last event of the Festival.
Job’s Temple was established in the late 1850’s when
congregants with southern sympathies withdrew from Pisgah Methodist Episcopal
Church located approximately two miles east of this site. Job’s Temple, now on the National Register of
Historic Places, was finished after the men returned to the community following
the Civil War.
Regular services were conducted until 1912 when the church
fell in disrepair. During the 1930’s,
interest was revived for the preservation of the building and the annual
homecomings began in 1936. Over 140
graves are on the property with the oldest being 1870.
Job’s Temple Association Inc., incorporated in 1978,
oversees the preservation of the church building, provides perpetual care for
the cemetery and grounds, and organizes homecomings each year.
The Folk Festival Committee appreciates the Job’s Temple
Association, Inc and its officers and members in welcoming this service to this
very special house of worship.